Communist Bucharest Tour | Private Walking Tour
Explore Bucharest’s communist heritage on a private tour of the communist period in Romania.
The communist chapter has deeply marked Romanian history and society. Visit the main historic touristic attractions from the communist period and learn the history and stories from behind the Iron Curtain.
To understand the outburst of violence of the Romanian Revolution of 1989, together with your local guide you will follow the steps of the events that took place in Revolution Square. Nearby you will see the site of the last Communist Congress hosted in November 1989, right before the fall of Nicolae Ceausescu.
The tour also takes you to the Civic Center neighborhood, built in the 1980s and hosting the Palace of the Parliament (still known to locals as the House of the People).The stories of the demolitions and the fascinating case of the “moved churches” will be illustrated with historic pictures.
To sweeten the taste of the stories from the old days, you are invited to try out a few sweet treats popular in the communist period.
1 – 2 persons: 140 €
3 – 4 persons: 160 €
5 – 6 persons: 175 €
7 – 8 persons: 190 €
9 persons: 210 €
* For larger groups, please write us at office@wheninBucharest.com and we will reply asap with a personalized price offer. Thanks very much!
Duration: 4 hours
Included: English speaking licensed guide, local recommendations
Not Included: optional coffee break
- Palace of the Parliament (“House of the People”) (outside view)
- Civic Center, communist neighborhood from the 1980s: Constitution Square, view over the former Victory of Socialism Boulevard, inside visit of one of the churches “moved” during the communist demolitions
- Revolution Square Square (site of the Romanian Revolution of 1989): former Central Committee of the Communist Party, Rebirth Memorial, former Royal Palace
- former Congres Hall hosting the Communist Congresses